The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#94077 - 09/10/08 03:27 PM My Sabah trip report and pictures
sarawaklens Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: east of here
Hi all, I've uploaded Day One pictures to Flickr but have not had the time to properly label them. Will do so when I get back. Today, we'll be heading to Poring Hot Springs... it's about 6am now and the mountain is in full view from my room. I can just picture the climbers making their way down right now from the top.

View from our room's balcony - taken yesterday:

We saw lots of orchids too...

A mountain orchid shop:

Anyway, no time to waste, going to a buffet breakfast and then off we go to Poring and later, to Mount Kinabalu National Park. Here's the link to my Day One photoset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607212249566/

#94078 - 09/11/08 09:12 AM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Yoshi-SJC Offline
OSF Plutonium Member

Loc: Left Coast
How was the visit to the Mt. Kinabalu Park? It looks as if you've encountered bad weather. The mountain lodge you stayed near Mt. Kinabalu (shown on your flickr site) looks familiar. Kinabalu Pine Resort?

Have a great vacation.

#94079 - 09/11/08 04:39 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Loc: Fair Lawn NJ USA
Henry, thanks so much for your wonderful slide show!! I look forwards to the next installment! Very interesting!
Enjoy your vacation!

#94080 - 09/12/08 02:40 AM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
sarawaklens Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Ursula, Day Two photos up and be sure to check the end of the photo set for some awesome orchids! Day Three photos will have to wait till tonight or tomorrow...

Yoshi, we went to KNP this morning and when we arrived, the clouds moved in and then it started to rain! The rain lasted about an hour, slowed down for a bit then the sun came out again around noon. We went to the botanical gardens and saw loads of Coelogyne blooming, it's such an amazing place this park! Orchids left and right. yeah so what if some or most are tagged there by the park staff but even walking the trails I could easily see so many orchids on the moss covered tree trunks. Simply mesmerizing for an orhcid lover.

Anyway, I have uploaded Day Two photos (I am on my third day here, no time to label and describe the photos yet. Organizing them into proper sets will have to wait till I get back. Here's the link to the Day Two photo set (over 400 photos).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607229870397/

Day Two short summary:
Early morning, drove to Poring Hot Springs, did the Canopy Walk (awesome experience but too short, I wanted it to go on for a few hundred meters more!)

Then, explored the hot springs area, smell of sulphur very strong here, like rotten eggs. Didn go swimming or dipping or anything, didn't bring any swim wear.

Headed off to the nearby Poring Orchid Conservation Center. So many species orchids here, don't have to words to describe it. Just look at the pictures yourself...

Unfortunately, no Paph roth were blooming (only those that had turned into pods). However, we will soon see many roths blooming!

Late afternoon, we headed to Kundasang War Memorial to look at the gardens there. This memorial garden was set up in memory of the British and Australian POWs who were forced on a death march from Sandakan to Ranau, and the local people who died trying to help them. There are three themed gardens here, Australian Garden, British Rose Garden and Borneo Garden with lots of orchids.

Australia Garden:

British Rose Garden:

Borneo Garden:

Rothschildianum corner:

Evening, it started to rain again! It seems that it rains every evening in the mountains here. This place is quite amazing though, there are orchids almost everywhere we went, in parks, in gardens, even in the hotel we stayed at.

Will upload Day Three photos and write a short report when I get the time hopefully tonight. We are now back in the city and am sitting in the lobby of the hotel surfing via the free wifi (the signal is too weak in my room).

Enjoy the photos!

#94081 - 09/12/08 04:29 AM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Rainforest Offline
OSF Platinum Member

wow laugh what a trip BGIL thanks for sharing...

#94082 - 09/12/08 06:21 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Now that was quite some Day 2!! Wow!!
You put us right into the middle of everything! Thanks so much!!

#94083 - 09/13/08 01:36 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Yoshi-SJC Offline
OSF Plutonium Member

Loc: Left Coast
On my recent tour, I missed visiting Poring Hot Spring because I spent two days climbing up and down Mt. Kinabalu while the rest of the group enjoyed activities in/around Poring Hot Spring: dipping in a hot spring, visiting Poring Orchid Conservation Center, viewing more rafflesia in bloom, and a canopy walk! Thanks for sharing so many photos, Henry.

#94084 - 09/14/08 05:51 AM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Brant Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pleasantville
Beautiful clap

#94085 - 09/14/08 01:57 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Linda_Shel Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pender Island, B.C. Canada
Looks like you are having a wonderful time. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. The orchids are amazing. Dancin

#94086 - 09/14/08 02:33 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Wendy Offline
Just me!

Loc: Ontario
Thank you for posting your trip photos and information. Very nice.

#94087 - 09/14/08 04:46 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
sarawaklens Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Glad to share the experience! Here's the link to Day Three photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607256382772/

Yet to post day four and five, will do so when I get back. Today, we're going to the islands.

Yoshi, that gives you reason to come back haha. We're coming back definitely, maybe in November.

#94088 - 09/16/08 05:10 AM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Henry, this installment is really awesome!!! BGIL Thanks so much!! You put in a lot of time to share your trip!

DH has a lot of questions about this trip. Did you book anything ahead of time?
We spent last Fall a month in SA and Namibia, except for the first hotel booking the next sleeping quarters usually in the morning one day in advance. Would this be possible here?

#94089 - 09/16/08 04:20 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
sarawaklens Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Whew! Back from Sabah and missing it already! Finally got all the days 4-6 pics uploaded. Here are the links:

Day Four (KK city walk):
http://flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607324479205/

Day Five (Sunday Market! Been waiting for this day all week long!):
http://flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607322396648/

Day Six (islands and snorkeling! but blasted, I had left behind my digicam with waterproof case! took pics only with my w810i):
http://flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/sets/72157607328867180/

Ursula, glad to share! Ask away! Whether to book in advance or not depends on the season (peak, off peak). Sometimes, if it happens to be convocation (University Sabah commencement) week, all the hotels in the city will be fully booked. Peak holiday season is usually during the year end school holidays which begin in November till just after the new year and then during the shorter school or public holidays throughout the year. Be ready to pay more as hotels and resorts mark up their rates during the peak period.

I think you'll love Sabah a lot. I'd say tourists make up about 1/10th of the population in the city. Every tenth person or so who walked passed us seemed to be either Korean, Taiwanese, Aussie, German, Swede or Brit. laugh

Going through Sabah withdrawal at the moment... laugh

#94090 - 09/18/08 04:36 PM Re: My Sabah trip report and pictures
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

I just looked at your next installments and I enjoyed them too! Very thorough and informative!
The market visits really look like fun. Gorgeous pearls!!

Thanks Henry!!

Moderator:  HouTxCat, HouTxCat, Rich 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
C. Ruth Gee
Ascocenda Sweet Cherry 'Meechai' - Ascocentrum cur
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Cattleya mossiae semi-alba
Another Asctm. garayi
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Pteroceras pallidum
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Just a couple of Desert Rose
Today's Birthdays
k
Featured Member
Who's Online
2 registered (Scott Ware, Yug), 158 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31618 Members
33 Forums
52899 Topics
317057 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.