The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#311042 - 11/16/12 08:02 AM Best place online to get decorative orchid pots?
jbrady33 Offline
OSF Member

would like the double pot kind, plastic liner pot in a nice ceramic. Have a Phal that is a solid mass of roots in it's current liner, need to go up a size smile

This is what it looked like about 9 months ago. Flowers are gone right now but has added at least 3 full leaves and lots of roots:

WP_000152.jpg

#311553 - 11/26/12 12:22 PM Re: Best place online to get decorative orchid pots? [Re: jbrady33]
Desdinova Online   happy
OSF Platinum Member

All I can say is that I got two rescues from Lowe's in Oregon while visiting my sister. One came in such a pot as you have. The first thing I did was to remove it from that pot. And if I had a hammer, the second thing I would have done would be to reduce it to pot shards, which is all it was worth. That is what I think of putting orchids (or any epiphytes) in such a thing. I don't even like using (opaque) green plastic pots because I can't see the roots. Unfortunately I live in an apartment (with damn little light and humidity--ixnay on the slab mounts and clay pots) and so am forced to resort to plastic pots. In nature, these plants would be bathed in moist fresh air all day long.

Now, to consider your situation. I think it is a bad idea to put one of the most important parts of the plant where you can't see it. All too often, a grower (myself included!) can fail to spot incipient trouble until it becomes extremely serious. It's easy to just not look at the roots--I know several people who just leave the things in the pot until they die from an easily corrected root problem that went undetected. Not one of them was an orchid person. As a member of this board, I would not think you would fall into that category. If you must have something decorative, by all means, use something with a wide enough opening so that you can easily see the pot inside.

#311582 - 11/27/12 05:42 AM Re: Best place online to get decorative orchid pots? [Re: jbrady33]
bullsie Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: pennsylvania
Get a pot that is appropriate for the plants roots. Then find a container that it fits into that is decorative. This way you can observe that it is growing ok, roots are fine and you can enjoy it in any decorative pot you place it into.

The fact that it is growing well for you in the double pot does suggest that it is receiving the proper culture for its conditions. In other words, for your home or windowsill it is happy. As growers, we plant them, water them, fertilize them, etc to meet the conditions that one has to make them happy. Of which there are a multitude of variations.

#311681 - 11/28/12 01:34 PM Re: Best place online to get decorative orchid pots? [Re: Desdinova]
jbrady33 Offline
OSF Member

Originally Posted By: Desdinova
All I can say is that I got two rescues from Lowe's in Oregon while visiting my sister. One came in such a pot as you have. The first thing I did was to remove it from that pot. And if I had a hammer, the second thing I would have done would be to reduce it to pot shards, which is all it was worth. That is what I think of putting orchids (or any epiphytes) in such a thing. I don't even like using (opaque) green plastic pots because I can't see the roots. Unfortunately I live in an apartment (with damn little light and humidity--ixnay on the slab mounts and clay pots) and so am forced to resort to plastic pots. In nature, these plants would be bathed in moist fresh air all day long.

Now, to consider your situation. I think it is a bad idea to put one of the most important parts of the plant where you can't see it. All too often, a grower (myself included!) can fail to spot incipient trouble until it becomes extremely serious. It's easy to just not look at the roots--I know several people who just leave the things in the pot until they die from an easily corrected root problem that went undetected. Not one of them was an orchid person. As a member of this board, I would not think you would fall into that category. If you must have something decorative, by all means, use something with a wide enough opening so that you can easily see the pot inside.

I should have been more clear, the orchid is in a clear plastic orchid pot inside that ceramic one. I pull it out once a week to water and check the roots.

I was looking for another decorative shell/clear plastic liner setup, just an inch bigger. Would also settle for a bigger ceramic only pot if it had the bog holes in the side.

The only reason I ask it is totally root bound and sending air roots. Can it stay in this size pot indefinitely?

#311696 - 11/28/12 08:07 PM Re: Best place online to get decorative orchid pots? [Re: jbrady33]
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Puerto Rico
Go see these. They are decorative and airy at the same time.
RepotMe.com
If your Phal is in one of those soft, transparent liners from Taiwan, be very careful when pulling your plant roots out of there. You will have to cut the liner open to be able to remove your plant. You can, then, pull very carefully the sphagnum moss from the root ball to free the poor, tight roots. If you want, you can re-use the resulting fluffier moss to re-pot your plant on a slightly larger pot.

Contigo en la distancia........

#311734 - 11/29/12 09:42 AM Re: Best place online to get decorative orchid pots? [Re: jbrady33]
Desdinova Online   happy
OSF Platinum Member

Indefinitely? No. The plant will either die or try to grow out of it. Since it's not blooming now, this would be a good time to repot, before the new roots get too long and repotting would mean damaging them.

For the record, what I said was merely my opinion, nothing more. I'm not implying criticism of you in any sense. I think you want your plants to be happy and healthy, the same as any of us would, else you would not be here. I guess it all depends on how you view things. For me, any orchid I own is decoration enough, even if it's not in bloom. Phalaenopsis, dendrobiums, paphs, definitely jewel orchids, have charm in their shapes and foliage. That's my rationale for no decorative pots--to me, that's stealing the plant's thunder.

Misdoubt me not. I want nothing but for you to succeed and enjoy your plants, so that someday, a beginner will ask you for advice, and you will be able to help them, as we will hopefully help you. Plus I want to see pictures of your flowers, too! clap

Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
A couple of NOID Phals
Ascda. Thongtong Classic
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Arundina graminifolia orlata
Laelia perrinii coerulea
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Paphiopedilum, Dramatic Shadow
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Dahlias
Today's Birthdays
Dana
Featured Member
Who's Online
8 registered (Ed M, John M, Just1more, mokeck, pepe9524, RoyL, SC Begonia Guy, Yug), 124 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31750 Members
33 Forums
53792 Topics
323691 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.