The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#310951 - 11/14/12 04:16 PM As I was sure I would, I have some questions
Kam.j Offline
Cali. Bred, Nebraska Fed!

Loc: NE
So as a few may know, I recently purchased a Paphiopedilum In-Charm Firebird. As I lack experience I need some advice, seeming as how I can't send it back now! First off will it get enough light in an east facing window, or should I filter the light coming from my south window, and place it there? I've been told this is a temperamental plant, and I've heard the opposite stating that it will do well under normal Paph conditions. My internet research has been 2 sided, so any answers would help immensely, Thanks!

#310954 - 11/14/12 04:39 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Kam.j]
briguy Offline
fool

Loc: no longer in paaaaaaaaawtucket...
ask any three orchid growers an opinion on growing, you're gonna get five answers
The thing is this, to look 'em in the eyes and keep cool whatever happens, not for the fraction of a moment forgetting that they are made of merde, that they are all of them composed entirely of merde...
e e cummings

#310955 - 11/14/12 05:39 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: briguy]
ellen nz Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: N Z
Originally Posted By: briguy
ask any three orchid growers an opinion on growing, you're gonna get five answers

True, so true. LOL wink

#310965 - 11/14/12 09:08 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: ellen nz]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: KY
I grow Paphs. and have several In-Charm hybrids. An east window will
do fine, but humidity is far more important to bloom Paphs. Most Paphs.
like 60-80% humidity and over-watering is a big concern. Try to keep
the potting mix just moist in the root zone. A bamboo skewer down in
the pot will help you monitor the amount of moisture at the roots. In
addition, most Paphs. don't like salt build-up in the pot. Be sure to flush
the pot at least once a month if you're fertilizing every seven days.

#310997 - 11/15/12 02:53 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: abaxter]
Kam.j Offline
Cali. Bred, Nebraska Fed!

Loc: NE
Thanks abaxter, I appreciate it!

#311851 - 11/30/12 05:54 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Kam.j]
Julio David Rios Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: Puerto Rico
I water my Paphs early in the morning every single day but when that is not enough specially in the summer I put a plate fill with water under the pot and the plant is kept moist all time.

#311918 - 12/02/12 05:39 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Julio David Rios]
Shari Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: Florida, USA
In addition to the above, I also add oyster shell just on the top!

#311921 - 12/02/12 06:20 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Julio David Rios]
briguy Offline
fool

Originally Posted By: Julio David Rios
I water my Paphs early in the morning every single day but when that is not enough specially in the summer I put a plate fill with water under the pot and the plant is kept moist all time.

if you did that up here in Rhode Island or with the media i use, the plants would quickly die from overwatering
The thing is this, to look 'em in the eyes and keep cool whatever happens, not for the fraction of a moment forgetting that they are made of merde, that they are all of them composed entirely of merde...
e e cummings

#311925 - 12/02/12 08:58 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: briguy]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Pawtucket, I was going to say something about that post too, but didn't
want to alienate Julio David again. I gather the poster is from the NE
of the United States and watering every day will rot the plant quickly.
Take my suggestion of keeping a bamboo skewer down in the pot and
check for moisture every other day or so. In our climate, Paphs. can
ALMOST dry before watering, especially during the winter months.

#311981 - 12/04/12 08:55 AM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: abaxter]
briguy Offline
fool

some folks don't know that what works for one person in one area (geographic or other) may not work for someone somewhere else
e e cummings

#311983 - 12/04/12 09:37 AM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: briguy]
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Julio was just saying what HE does. There are even differences in the way he grows his plants and how I grow mine ( we are about 80 miles apart ).

Contigo en la distancia........

#311991 - 12/04/12 11:14 AM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: abaxter]
Ricardo in PR Offline
OSF member

Julio's growing area has to be seen to be believed. It is an actual hanging garden that proyects from the face of cliff into space. It receives constant breezes from the north which even though the Atlantic is near by, tend to dry the plants relatively fast. However it is a dream setting to cultivate Vandas and its relatives which grow amazingly in his set up. I has certain unique drawbacks like the time a helicopter crashed and when a lighting stricke turned a palm tree into a ball of fire, but these are lesser complaints.

http://ricardogupi.blogspot.com/ A blog about orchids, parrots and tropical fish

#311995 - 12/04/12 11:58 AM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Ricardo in PR]
briguy Offline
fool

Originally Posted By: Ricardo in PR
Julio's growing area has to be seen to be believed. It is an actual hanging garden that proyects from the face of cliff into space. It receives constant breezes from the north which even though the Atlantic is near by, tend to dry the plants relatively fast. However it is a dream setting to cultivate Vandas and its relatives which grow amazingly in his set up. I has certain unique drawbacks like the time a helicopter crashed and when a lighting stricke turned a palm tree into a ball of fire, but these are lesser complaints.

that sounds superfantastic!
e e cummings

#312016 - 12/04/12 07:36 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: briguy]
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

The owner of the helicopter was his neighbor...... angelwings

Contigo en la distancia........

#312020 - 12/04/12 09:05 PM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: Irma]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Oh my heavens!!!! I'd love to see some photos of his growing area
someday. It sounds wonderful and beautiful.

#312126 - 12/06/12 11:05 AM Re: As I was sure I would, I have some questions [Re: abaxter]
Brian Monk Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
This hybrid is a multifloral x brachypetalum hybrid. As such, growing it is not much of a problem. Flowering it, however, is a different story. Some of these hybrids are not so hard to flower, and will do so without much special treatment. Others, however, such as Rolfei (bellatulum x rothschildianum) are notoriously difficult to flower without taking extreme measures. This is because the individual parents require such different conditions to flower at all, let alone well. In fact, the only cultural award for Rolfei refers specifically to this, and includes the words "leaves slightly faded and sunburnt." Any judge will tell you how contradictory these words are in a CCM description. Brachypetalums require a very dry rest, and some like bellatulum prefer it cooler than 50 F for short periods of time in order to set buds. The Coryopedilums, of which Susan Booth is a hybrid, can require higher light and a different rest, and tend to bloom on large (3-4+ growth) plants, and sometimes bloom infrequently at best.

Your conditions inside may be too consistent to achieve a bloom with this plant. You may want to expose this plant to jigher light and coller temps in the fall once it is large enough to withstand these harsh conditions.

If I could take back half of the stupid things that I said, I would have probably said only half as much.

"Hybridizing is like doing wood sculpture with a shotgun" - Ross Hela

"Hell is a garden club." - Ned Nash

Moderator:  Chris-MD, ellen nz 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Blc Ann Morning 'Paradise'
Blc Mem Crispin Rosales 'Pine Knot'
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Dendrobium rantii
Dracula
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Phalaenopsis tattoo
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Dahlias
Today's Birthdays
gruiz, Heather, menelaus84, stelmar
Featured Member
Who's Online
9 registered (ABlackOrchid, CaseyC, Desdinova, DJB, Hank, John M, Just1more, mokeck, SC Begonia Guy), 116 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31759 Members
33 Forums
53892 Topics
324359 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.