Topic Options
Lilliput.jpg
Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster Brian Monk Offline
Posted 04/21/12 09:32 AM
Description
After blooming some of these heat-tolerant Cyms, I have a much greater respect for Andy's hybrdizing program and working with Cyms in general. It seems that every species that injects a significant amount of heat tolerance also adds an equal amount of some undesirable trait, and the undesirable traits are often more persistent than the heat tolerance!

The first is Cym. Lilliput, an un-named clone. it is ensifolium x lowianum. Cym lowianum has a pendant inflorescence, so this thing flops around like a dead fish.

The second is Alexandra Carpenter Bourgeois, which is a complex hybrid of Tender Love x Gladys Whitesell. It have a dramatic and graceful arch to the inflorescence, and one can tell from the flower shape that is has madidum in the background.

The third is Cym Nut 'Everglades', which is Cymbidium sinense x Cymbidium Red Beauty. Cym sinense produces incredible heat tolerance, and straight-as-an-arrow spikes, but the flower shape is always open, and the colors can be very muddy.

For anyone who grows orchids in the heat or warmth, I would really recommend these (or any) tolerant Cyms. They are very rewarding, with incredible displays, great numbers of flowers, and the plants themselves are very pretty. I have also found that with proper care they are very vigorous, and become huge plants in a short time.
Dimensions 600x750
Size 445.23 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#298071 - 04/21/12 09:56 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: Brian Monk]
ellen fl Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: no. palm beach, fl
thanks, brian. i love cyms and would be thrilled to bloom one. i wonder if orchids will adapt to climate change or if the recent change-for-the-warmer of my hardiness zone will still preclude me from blooming these.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

#298074 - 04/21/12 10:37 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: ellen fl]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
Why not just get warm-growing -- not warmth-tolerant, but genuinely warm-growing -- epiphytic Cym species if one is happy with the flower shape of the 1st and 3rd. Many are fragrant, and there are several of these lowland types which naturally thrive in warm weather, such as Cym aloeifolium (I grew it as pendulum), Cym bicolor, Cym lancifolium, finlaysonianum (grew this one, also) and many others. As an example:
http://www.orchidspecies.com/cymaloeifolium.htm

What I am interested in are the big-flowered terrestrial Cyms. Over the years, I have tried several alleged warmth-tolerant types and found them to be complete duds in N. Florida.

#298075 - 04/21/12 10:50 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: CJWatson]
Brian Monk Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
CJ - I am with you, as I am interested in the larger flowered hybrids. I have one type right now, Clarisse Austin 'Dark Red' from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate, that continues to perform for me in the heat. The plant just finished blooming, with 5 spikes and 5-8 flowers per. The color is less than desirable, b/c of the temperature-dependant nature of anthocyanin production, but the plant is huge and blooms freely. Can't say why.

As to the species you mentioned, seems like too much space and effort for too small a reward. Aloifolium, for example, will get as large as a VW Bug, but only blooms once per year, and the flowers are small and unexciting. Cym. madidum is the same way, but BIGGER.

I can say for a fact that some of the hybrid plants I have are prone to bud-blast when night temps are too warm (Dutchman's Gold, etc), but overall I cannot stop them from growing well and producing multiple spikes per bulb.

What did you mean by "Dud?"

If I could take back half of the stupid things that I said, I would have probably said only half as much.

"Hybridizing is like doing wood sculpture with a shotgun" - Ross Hela

"Hell is a garden club." - Ned Nash

#298077 - 04/21/12 11:16 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: Brian Monk]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
Quote:
What did you mean by "Dud?"

Happily grew like weeds, but would only bloom maybe once in five or ten years if at all.

Many years ago, the Houston Orchid Soc had a list online of warmth-tolerant Cym hybrids which did well in their temps -- at least most of the time. It's not online anymore, unfortunately, and I didn't print a hard copy.

#298103 - 04/21/12 09:25 PM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: CJWatson]
MrCym Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Salinas
Brian,

I do not find Cym. sinense imparts warmth-tolerance very well unless there is also another heat-tolerant species like ensifolium or madidum in the mix. Nut is so yesterday! I understand Tim Culbertson is doing a speaking tour this Summer around Southern states speaking about genuine WT/HT Cyms.....

#298170 - 04/22/12 09:43 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: MrCym]
timc Offline
OSF Member

at least i hope i am...it's a good presentation...

#298186 - 04/22/12 10:31 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: timc]
Brian Monk Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Tim -

Are you coming to FLA? Love to see the lecture.

If I could take back half of the stupid things that I said, I would have probably said only half as much.

"Hybridizing is like doing wood sculpture with a shotgun" - Ross Hela

"Hell is a garden club." - Ned Nash

#298207 - 04/22/12 12:14 PM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: Brian Monk]
timc Offline
OSF Member

as of right now i'm not going anywhere. I guess Tom Mirenda couldn't go to Texas for a speaking tour there and suggested me, but they havent called or anything so I guess it's not going to happen... Id love to have the opportunity to give the presentation, but nothing's scheduled yet.

#298289 - 04/23/12 07:10 AM Re: Some HEAT tolerant Cymbidiums [Re: timc]
MrCym Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Salinas
Maybe the Lilliput just needed a stake? Mine (from Pakkret in Bangkok) has upright spikes and also holds pods just fine.

Moderator:  Chris-MD, ellen nz, ellen nz, Rich, Woola 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Blc. Maui Sun 'Solar Flare'
Bl.Sea Urchin
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Gongora superflua
Cattleya violacea f. rosea gravata
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. lobbii in photo art
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Minature water lily
Today's Birthdays
beginner, dan NYC
Featured Member
Who's Online
8 registered (Desdinova, dounoharm, John M, Marci/SoFl, Posey, The Silent Seed, Tom--Orchidghost, Ursula), 170 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31691 Members
33 Forums
53395 Topics
320660 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.