The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#295322 - 03/18/12 01:04 AM honohono keiki planting
jayako Offline
OSF Member

Hey Gang,

I am super new here to orchids. I am looking to get some good tips on Honohono growing. I have a ton of growing sheets on the seasons but I am having a bit of a time understanding what to cut on some of my plants after the flowers die and how to plant the keikis when the sprout. I would love any pointers on this. Thanks, I live in Honolulu

#295328 - 03/18/12 08:37 AM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: jayako]
briguy Offline
fool

Loc: no longer in paaaaaaaaawtucket...
howdy and welcome to the forum
are you speaking of Dendrobium anosmum?
The thing is this, to look 'em in the eyes and keep cool whatever happens, not for the fraction of a moment forgetting that they are made of merde, that they are all of them composed entirely of merde...
e e cummings

#295351 - 03/18/12 07:01 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: briguy]
DenMother Offline
OSF Gold Member

Yes, in Hawaii, the superbums/anosmums are called "honohono".

#295352 - 03/18/12 07:04 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: jayako]
DenMother Offline
OSF Gold Member

Why cut the canes at all? the keikis will need years to reach blooming size, but with good care the plant will produce one or more new canes this season, to bloom next year at this time. The larger and stronger the main plant -- with its live canes intact -- the better the flowering.

The growers cut the canes in order to propagate the plants.

#295353 - 03/18/12 07:09 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: jayako]
Ricardo in PR Offline
OSF member

Loc: Puerto Rico
Put the keikis over some media that can hold water relatively well since they have much smaller reserves that the adult plants. Don't bury them in the media, allow their roots to penetrate the media on their own accord. My favorie media for anosmum keikis is coconut husk pieces cut into squares. The keikis need to be in shadier spot than the adults until they have produced at least two new canes. The care they get depends on their size, any keiki with just a single cane that is less than six inches long needs a lot more care than one with two canes and some root development. I personally don't cut the canes from my adult plants until they are three years old. Cutting the canes into pieces that are too small, (less than six inches) will produce weaker keikis that will need, initally much more care than the keikis produced by larger pieces. Some of my friend put the pieces of the old canes over wet sand. I personally am happy with whatever keiki I get from my plants and only very rarely cut canes that are younger than three years.

http://ricardogupi.blogspot.com/ A blog about orchids, parrots and tropical fish

#295362 - 03/18/12 11:50 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: Ricardo in PR]
jayako Offline
OSF Member

Hi Ricardo, thank you so much for your advice. I was so confused on what to cut and if I truly had to cut at all. Now I know that you do not have to cut. Okay. Thanks for the tips and I will see what happens if I leave the plants alone. I also checked out your blog and the section that you had on the honohonos. Wow I hope some day my plants will thrive like that. Right now all but one of my plants are in bloom. Actually the one that is not in bloom yet but is budding is the only one that I have been growing on my own. I have 2 white Nesters that are in bloom 2 little sweet scents that are in bloom and I just bought a plant called touch of class from a show yesterday. The smells are wonderful. Is there any way to get more plants that smell like this all of the time or am i asking to much. Well thanks any way. talk to you soon.

#295363 - 03/18/12 11:52 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: DenMother]
jayako Offline
OSF Member

Thanks DenMother

#295376 - 03/19/12 08:03 AM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: jayako]
DenMother Offline
OSF Gold Member

You're welcome. These are some of my favorite orchids!

Some of my anosmums and aphyllums are blooming now, I'm waiting (not patiently!) for the Nestors and Little Sweet Scents to bloom.

Enjoy!

#302520 - 06/17/12 06:06 PM Re: honohono keiki planting [Re: jayako]
Michael G. Heinz Offline
OSF Member

There is a very good Orchid Society in your area that you should join. There is so much info available at these meeting that it makes going worthwhile. I'm in Florida, but I went to Hawaii five years ago and went to an orchid show while I was there, and joined the society that put the show on. H & R (Roy Tokanaga) is on the island and he can supply you with info to answer all your questions.

Moderator:  Chris-MD 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Paph. primulinum alba x dianthum alba
Phrag. Sunset Glow 4N
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Phalaenopsis tetraspis C#1
Gongora fulva 'David's Dragons'
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. auratum painting in B&W
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Morning Glory "Milky Way"
Today's Birthdays
Noodlescooz
Featured Member
Who's Online
1 registered (ABlackOrchid), 117 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31709 Members
33 Forums
53505 Topics
321682 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.