The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#230210 - 02/06/10 06:17 PM Is this Cattleya virused?
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

Loc: Chicago, IL
I bought this cattleya last year bare root from Hausermann's. This is its first bloom. It has two flowers. The other flower looks the same and but developed only 1 petal, so it is actually missing a petal. It has 3 sepals and 1 petal and looks really odd. I suspect it has a virus. It is tagged as Slc. Maria Nohava Hollowed 'Serenity'.

Does this plant look diseased to people in this forum?

virus-sm.jpg

Description: Does this cattleya look like it has a virus?

#230211 - 02/06/10 06:23 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
Yug Offline
Orchid pest

Loc: Hawaii
I would have to see a few more to make a better decision, but at first glance it sure looks virused to me. eek

#230218 - 02/06/10 06:44 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Yug]
Ed M Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Nowheresville
I have no doubt that it's virused.

The genius of American politics is our ability to compromise. - Shelby Foote

#230221 - 02/06/10 06:58 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Ed M]
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Puerto Rico
Is that little speck on the left sepal a thrip? It may have thrips, but the dark streaking on the outer part of the lip suggest virus, too.

Contigo en la distancia........

#230227 - 02/06/10 07:24 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
John M Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
'Looks virused to me...no doubt in my mind either. Get rid of it.

#230229 - 02/06/10 08:08 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Irma]
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

I don't think the speck is a thrip, though I don't see anything there now. It might have been a piece of dirt that has since fallen off.

Thanks to everyone for the second opinions. This would be my first obviously virused plant and I didn't want to be jumping to the wrong conclusions.

#230235 - 02/06/10 09:00 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: KY
I'd pitch that plant into the nearest fire and be glad it's gone. It sometimes kills me to do it,but it's the safest thing to do. Remember
to remember from whom you bought it too.

#230259 - 02/07/10 07:04 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: abaxter]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
I'd pitch it immediately, also.

#230270 - 02/07/10 09:34 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: abaxter]
Yug Offline
Orchid pest

Loc: Hawaii
(and show the seller this photo)

#230287 - 02/07/10 11:28 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Yug]
Ray Offline
Orchid Iconoclast

Loc: Buckingham PA
I have a question for the pros:

Let's say I purchase a clean plant and unknowingly expose it to others that are virused, but not noticeably so. Assuming my new plant wasn't the healthiest or was struggling to get established (I figure weakened to some degree would help the disease), just how fast could the plant get to the state of this one?

#230290 - 02/07/10 12:30 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Ray]
briguy Offline
fool

Loc: no longer in paaaaaaaaawtucket...
i ain't no expert but one stat i've heard is that it takes up to seven years for the orchid to show signs of virus

i may be very wrong though
The thing is this, to look 'em in the eyes and keep cool whatever happens, not for the fraction of a moment forgetting that they are made of merde, that they are all of them composed entirely of merde...
e e cummings

#230296 - 02/07/10 01:39 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
MrCym Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Salinas
Ray,

Many years ago as a graduate project I remember infecting some Cattleyas. All showed floral symptoms on the blooms carried on the next growth. But that being said, some plants seem very resistant to either of the major orchid viruses. I sourced an old Bc Mrs Leehman once, confident that it would be riddled with virus, yet it was squeaky-clean. Even under the electron microscope. Most of the Cattleya Alliance seem very virus-prone for whatever reason.

#230363 - 02/07/10 09:17 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Yug]
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

Originally Posted By: Yug
(and show the seller this photo)

I wrote Hausermann's and asked if they would be willing to let me bring the plant in and swap it for a non-diseased plant. I also sent them a copy of the photo, but no reply after 24 hours.

#230413 - 02/08/10 06:46 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
bullsie Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: pennsylvania
Thanks Mr Cym! I had wondered the same thing.

#230455 - 02/08/10 09:53 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

Well, I took my plant into Hausermann's today and they replaced it, though they pointed out that my mix was rotted and the majority of roots were dead. I completely admit that this plant was doing poorly. I think the roots were dead/dead-ish when I got it, but I did have new growth with some new roots, so if it was diseased, its sad state definitely made it easier for the virus to spread.

Anyways Hausermann's tossed the plant in the trash and allowed me to exchange for a new one. We couldn't find the original clone, so I got a different clone. It is smaller, but blooming size, so I'm happy. And, of course, since I was out there, I treated myself to another plant, too.

#230469 - 02/08/10 10:56 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
MrCym Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Salinas
That's why Hausermanns have been around for so long. Virus can happen, it's how you solve the problem that makes your business.

#230805 - 02/10/10 07:12 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
bullsie Offline
OSF Gold Member

Just curious, but your potting mix was less than a year old and totally rotted and roots were dying. What were you using?

#230962 - 02/11/10 07:43 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: bullsie]
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

I had it in a bark/charcoal/rock/sphagnum mix that I use with some of my other cattleyas due to the extreme dryness of my house last year. The other ones are fine. However, I'm planning to move all my cattleyas into S/H this spring. I'm not very fond of the mix and generally only use it with cattleyas that seem to have shrivelling problems and when I got this plant bareroot, the PBs were all shrivelled.

#231208 - 02/12/10 10:51 AM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: Spencer Aloysius]
bullsie Offline
OSF Gold Member

SA, you will like s/h culture. I have almost all of my Cattleyas in it - I have moved them few at a time into it - and this spring the last two will go into s/h culture. I've only had one so far that didn't like it, was a Slc or a Pot, can't remember off hand. But rest have been great.

#231491 - 02/14/10 02:02 PM Re: Is this Cattleya virused? [Re: bullsie]
Spencer Aloysius Offline
Death to Orchids

About a quarter of my cattleyas are already in S/H, but I had to take 2 out because they got too big and I didn't have S/H pots large enough for them. They are now temporarily in this bark/charcoal/rock/sphag mix until I get enough stuff to do a complete move.

Moderator:  Pook 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
BLC. Moonwalk Magic
Paph. Billy Cardalino
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Broughtonia sanguinea 'Splish Splash'
Phalaenopsis pulchra
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. lobbii in photo art
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Echinopsis oxygona
Today's Birthdays
Lagoon
Featured Member
Who's Online
11 registered (Alec McF, AnnFlorida, Camille, Carl S, caryliss, Christian, gnathaniel, Just1more, Mike on Maui, Orclectic, pepe9524), 202 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31697 Members
33 Forums
53415 Topics
320874 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.