The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#210142 - 09/22/09 02:17 AM Cattleya sheath
Pepe Offline
OSF Member

Loc: Havirov, Czech Republic
Hello, my question is. How long does it take from the first time I noticed the sheath is developing to time the flower is visible in the pocket?
Are we talking about weeks, months? Any special care over this period?

Thanks for your comments. Pepe

#210161 - 09/22/09 04:34 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Pepe]
Chris-MD Offline
fast and loose

Loc: MD/DC z7
The answer is: It depends on what plant you have. Some plants, like my Cattleya Angel Bells 'Suzie', will actually bloom on green sheaths before the growth has finished developing! Others will develop a sheath and wait over winter before blooming from it. Paphs and Phrags, not entirely sure. Every plant is different!

#210167 - 09/22/09 05:04 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Chris-MD]
Pepe Offline
OSF Member

Thatīs probably my case. The Pbulb is not developed and the sheath is about 3" long. I read that sometimes it is a fake shaeth and finally leave develops. What about watering and fertilizing over the "sheath" period?

In the evening I will post pics so you can tell whether it will be flower or leave.

#210191 - 09/22/09 07:09 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Pepe]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
All Cattleyas develop their sheathes as the bulb/leaves are still growing. Then, depending on which parents they have (or which species they are) they will either bloom when the bulb matures or will bloom months later when the sheath is brown and dried up. An example is C. skinneri, which grows and forms its sheathes during the summer, then waits until the next spring to bloom from what looks like a dead sheath.

Which Cattleya do you have?

#210201 - 09/22/09 07:36 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: CJWatson]
Pepe Offline
OSF Member

Thanks for your comments Watson. This will be a hybrid plant plus it was bought without a tag. When I bought it it was already without blooms.

#210206 - 09/22/09 08:16 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Pepe]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
Pepe, "blind" sheathes are usually formed on a plant too young to bloom, or on a plant which just hasn't had enough light during its growing phase. Since your plant has bloomed before, the first does not apply; it is not too young. If you have been growing it in strong light, then it will most likely bloom when it is the bloom season for that particular plant. Since most Cattleyas, species and hybrids, only bloom once a year, you might have a bit of a wait. Don't cut off the sheath even if it turns brown.

Good luck!

#210288 - 09/22/09 01:58 PM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Pepe]
Brian Monk Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Even if it is a hybrid, the duration of development and the blooming season are heavily influenced by the species in its background. labiata hybrids still bloom in the fall, luddemaniana hybrids in Jan-Feb, warscewiczii still blooms from newly developing bulbs, etc. Some species are tremendously influential and their blooming season is highly conserved in their hybrids even out to many generations. C. harrisoniana, for example, will pull even percivaliana into a summer blooming. It is difficult, especially in more northern latitudes, to provide the exact environmental conditions for this, but hybrids that contain species that bloom at opposite ends of the year can bloom more than once per year.

If I could take back half of the stupid things that I said, I would have probably said only half as much.

"Hybridizing is like doing wood sculpture with a shotgun" - Ross Hela

"Hell is a garden club." - Ned Nash

#210355 - 09/22/09 09:05 PM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Brian Monk]
Chris-MD Offline
fast and loose

Loc: MD/DC z7
Originally Posted By: Brian Monk
C. harrisoniana, for example, will pull even percivaliana into a summer blooming.

Something about this sentence really caught me, very poetic smile

#210393 - 09/23/09 07:16 AM Re: Cattleya sheath [Re: Chris-MD]
Pepe Offline
OSF Member

Thanks a lot all of you for your comments. Once the bloom is out, hopefully it will - I will post pics.

Moderator:  Chris-MD, ellen nz 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
A couple of NOID Phals
Ascda. Thongtong Classic
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Laelia perrinii coerulea
C. walkeriana var. coerulea 'Manhattan Blue'
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Paphiopedilum, Dramatic Shadow
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Dahlias
Today's Birthdays
Dana
Featured Member
Who's Online
12 registered (Alec McF, AnnFlorida, Beetle, caryliss, CaseyC, Desdinova, jojo in minnesota, pepe9524, polka2, Scott Ware, Ursula, Wendy), 129 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31750 Members
33 Forums
53790 Topics
323671 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.