The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#197878 - 06/23/09 08:55 PM Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers...
meisha Offline
OSF Member

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to the whole orchid scene, and was hoping for a bit of advice! I bought a phalaenopsis from a local orchid grower a few weeks ago. It was in bloom with a number of buds when I got it. I placed it in a south-west window and I've been watering it about once a week (in the sink as the store's owner suggested) and misting it in the mornings to try and keep it humid. However, last week it started dropping some of the older flowers. New buds are still opening but it's dropped 4 or 5 flowers on me already. Is it just unhappy because it's in a new environment or am I doing something wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated... I want to try to make the orchid happy again so I don't lose all the flowers!

Thanks,
Meisha

#197884 - 06/23/09 09:20 PM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: meisha]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: KY
Sometimes the transition from the vendor to home is a shock and is
especially hard when relative humidity is low. Misting is only temporary
at best. An egg crate humidity tray will help, but a humidifier somewhere close to the plant will do much better. All orchids resent
dry air conditions and will drop flowers to show their displeasure. I also suggest you find an east window that gets morning sun and afternoon bright shade. Kitchens and bathrooms are usually a bit
more humid for windowsill growing.

#197993 - 06/24/09 02:15 PM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: meisha]
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Puerto Rico
Also, at this time of the year Phalaenopsis begin to drop their older flowers just as any other plant will do. All blooming plants do this when the flowering season is ending, so there is nothing wrong with your plant. I have hundreds of Phals and they are all doing this right now.

Contigo en la distancia........

#198041 - 06/24/09 07:48 PM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: meisha]
meisha Offline
OSF Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure I have a suitable East facing window (small apartment) but I will certainly see if I can increase the humidity.

#198497 - 06/27/09 09:02 PM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: meisha]
John M Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Also, a lot of Phal hybrids are actually Doritaenopsis hybrids. That is: they are a cross between a Phalaenopsis and a Doritis (which to the layman, just looks like a small phalaenopsis). However, Doritis are sequential bloomers; meaning that while they may have a bunch of flowers open at any one time, the older flowers drop off while new flowers are produced at the stem tip. Sometimes this trait is carried over to the hybrid progeny....especially many of the hot purple, smaller flowered Doritaenopsis (DTPS).

#205442 - 08/24/09 11:53 AM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: John M]
tffnyclog Offline
OSF Member

Originally Posted By: John M
Also, a lot of Phal hybrids are actually Doritaenopsis hybrids. That is: they are a cross between a Phalaenopsis and a Doritis (which to the layman, just looks like a small phalaenopsis). However, Doritis are sequential bloomers; meaning that while they may have a bunch of flowers open at any one time, the older flowers drop off while new flowers are produced at the stem tip. Sometimes this trait is carried over to the hybrid progeny....especially many of the hot purple, smaller flowered Doritaenopsis (DTPS).

I am having this particulan problem with my orchids. I have 2 (one of which is done blooming). I believe they are both Phal's but do not know if they are hybrids or not. But I am having several blooms die on my stem, while at the end there is new growth and small bulbs forming. I was wondering if this is normal for other orchids or is it a sign that I am watering or sunlighting wrong. I have very healthy roots and leaves, so I feel like I'm doing ok with it but im not sure abour the dropping flowers. also, if this is normal shoild i move up the stick i have it on to be closer to the new blooms or let is droop sideways a way before the new blooms?

#206486 - 08/31/09 11:37 PM Re: Help! My phalaenopsis is dropping flowers... [Re: John M]
Mr. Larkin Offline
OSF Member

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Originally Posted By: John M

And make sure that your temps are lower at night time. The Dtps. hybrid that I had only started to create new blooms at the tips once I lowered the temperature.

Moderator:  Chris-MD 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Paph. Memoria Clifford Walters
Blc. Maui Sun 'Solar Flare'
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Gongora superflua
Cattleya violacea f. rosea gravata
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. lobbii in photo art
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Minature water lily
Today's Birthdays
beginner, dan NYC
Featured Member
Who's Online
11 registered (caryliss, Chris in AUA, Chris-MD, Christian, e.muehlbauer, Ed M, Just1more, mokeck, naoki, Scott Ware, tenman), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31692 Members
33 Forums
53396 Topics
320677 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.