The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#194252 - 05/31/09 09:09 AM why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ?
janicehee Offline
OSF Member

i have maybee a dozen of these in my garden window and some are up to 4-5 years old. they seem to do great for the first couple of years watering approximately once a week or every 10 days, i have read a book and it said not to get the leaves wet which i have not. but every now and then one of my older ones will start to have wilting leaves and eventually die. does anyone know why this is happening ?

any info would be appreciated

#194255 - 05/31/09 09:31 AM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: janicehee]
CJWatson Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Pensacola FL
How often do you repot your plants?

#194258 - 05/31/09 09:51 AM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: CJWatson]
janicehee Offline
OSF Member

usually just 1 time soon after i buy them

#194264 - 05/31/09 12:30 PM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: janicehee]
Pook Offline
Google Queen

Loc: Golden Isles of GA
You just answered your question.

#194265 - 05/31/09 01:34 PM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: Pook]
janicehee Offline
OSF Member

how do i tell if it needs to be repotted?

#194267 - 05/31/09 02:00 PM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: janicehee]
jojo in minnesota Offline
Good grief!

Loc: Minnesota
The point is that they should be re-potted YEARLY in fresh mix. If they haven't been repotted in almost 5 years, they're way past due. And - if they are wilting, they may have some mushy roots that will need to be cut off. AND - if you cut a lot of roots off, you may - well probably will - have to put them in smaller pots than they are in now.

#194329 - 05/31/09 08:54 PM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: jojo in minnesota]
abaxter Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: KY
Or you can mount them on cork bark with a sphagnum moss padding,
water more often and never have to repot again! grin

#194360 - 06/01/09 07:11 AM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: abaxter]
Rich Offline
emphyein

Loc: .....once Upon a Time
rolleyes Not everyone has a naturally humid greenhouse, oh Angel of Harlan. poke
JoJo if one has enough air space in the growing medium, (and with Phals that means charcoal chunks and sponge rock), repotting once every 3 years is enough depending on the contents of the medium.

Janicehee needs to let us know how much light they are getting. For all we know she's toasting them beyond their ability to uptake water.

#194363 - 06/01/09 07:23 AM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: Rich]
jojo in minnesota Offline
Good grief!

Loc: Minnesota
Hmmmm. You have a point. I guess I always used coir, perlite and charcoal - so I did replant them every year. I replanted EVERYTHING every year.

Edited by jojo in minnesota (06/01/09 07:24 AM)

#194375 - 06/01/09 08:15 AM Re: why do my phalanophis leaves wilt ? [Re: jojo in minnesota]
lothianjavert Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: North East, MD
True, we don't know what her growing conditions are.

However, waiting four or five years before repotting would be a death sentence for many phals. She needs to repot them periodically.

How quickly the media degrades depends on what is used and on the growing conditions. For example, my media degrades faster in the greenhouse than it did when I was growing in my home.

In general, usually they should be repotted every other year.

Janice, I recommend taking one of your wilted-leaf phals out of its pot. What does the potting media look like? What do the roots look like? If the potting media looks more like soil than separate chunks, it's well past time to repot. If the roots are soft, squishy and brown, they are dead. Cut off any dead roots.

Repot the plant in fresh media. Make sure the pot fits the plant. If you had to cut off many roots, you will need to get a smaller pot.

When you finish potting, jot the potting date and plant/root condition on the back of the plant tag to keep track of when it was last repotted.

As for what to use for potting media, that can be a huge debate. In reality, it depends on what you are growing, your growing conditions, and your watering habits. I use a mix of bark, perlite, charcoal and coconut husk chunks. Others have success with sphagnum moss or semi-hydro extruded clay pellets. If your plants did well initially when you repotted them after they were purchased, you might want to use that again, as it seemed to work for you until it degraded.

Mounting plants is great, but not practical unless you have a sealed growing environment (grow room or greenhouse) that has a high humidity. You must also water much more often. I mount many of my plants, but I grow in a greenhouse. When I had the grow room in my home, it was more difficult to maintain a high enough humidity to make the mounted plants happy.

Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Bl.Sea Urchin
NoID Vanda
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Cattleya violacea f. rosea gravata
Cattleya gaskelliana f. coerulea
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. lobbii in photo art
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Minature water lily
Today's Birthdays
beginner, dan NYC
Featured Member
Who's Online
2 registered (ellen nz, kharma), 153 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31691 Members
33 Forums
53393 Topics
320640 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.