The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#170708 - 01/03/09 11:31 AM Orchid Benches
Hatshepsut Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, California

OK. Here are my next questions. I'm planning to buy some orchid benches.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for types of benches that work particularly well. Is coated metal better than plastic or is redwood the best option?

2. Some of the benches I've look at online have more than one shelf. It occurs to me that the water from the shelf of plants above will drain onto the plants below. That is probably not a good thing insofar as transmission of disease and transfer of pests is concerned. I know I've seen some posts of greenhouse areas with multi-shelf units. How do you handle the water runoff issue.

Thanks for your help and your patience,

Hatshepsut

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935

#170737 - 01/03/09 04:11 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Hatshepsut]
Pook Online   content
Google Queen

Loc: Golden Isles of GA
Lothianjavert
uses a corrugated material under the top bench to protect the plants below.

#170748 - 01/03/09 05:17 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Pook]
Ron--NY Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Saratoga region
With mounts growing on a wall...the upper plants always run into the lower plants...

#170818 - 01/04/09 05:57 AM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Hatshepsut]
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Loc: Fair Lawn NJ USA
I like the closet shelves from Home Depot. They are airy, easy to clean and cheap.

016Greenhwest.jpg

#170890 - 01/04/09 12:11 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Ursula]
Hatshepsut Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, California
Thanks, Ursula.

Does the shelving come with the framing? I have a Home Depot nearby and I will go over and check this out.

Thanks for your help.

Hatshepsut

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935

#170902 - 01/04/09 01:39 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Ursula]
Posey Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: SE Louisiana
Hey Ursula, how does the water drain off that floor? I'm such a wild waterer I just can't imagine how you could not have that sloshing wet all the time. stupid

#170906 - 01/04/09 02:25 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Hatshepsut]
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Hattie, framing?
DH built the racks from Aluminum rods (they would be tough to get, but there are surely equivalent pipes around?) and I simply placed the shelves on top.

Posey, I bought plastic storage boxes - the kind they sell usually every Fall ( for Dorm rooms) to store things in under the bed. I throw away the covers and place the deep trays under the racks to catch most of the water. They have to be washed out every couple of months. The floor in the open isles will get wet, I use old towels to mop up. Remember that my greenhouse is built on the second floor and part of the house, so the rules are slightly different here.
The greenhouse floor is slightly tilted away from the house wall and they are a few drainage holes drilled in on 2 sides, needed if I would really drown the place.

#171334 - 01/06/09 11:41 AM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Hatshepsut]
lothianjavert Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: North East, MD
We built ours to fit the greenhouse as any "ready made" shelves would not have been a good fit. The heavy gauge (just downright HEAVY) small-hole galvanized mesh we used has not yet begun to rust. I can stand on it and it doesn't give, but it was a nightmare to cut. (I have no clue where it originally came from. It arrived with the pallets of cinder blocks on a lift truck-- Steve's dad had ordered it.) I've seen the coated green fence-mesh used and it seems to work well, though if you have small pots, they will tip over due to the larger size of the holes.

In our old growing room we used the coated white shelving from home depot and built the frames. it was simple and worked well.

In between shelves, we used coroplast (corrugated plastic-- think cardboard, but made out of thin plastic. It's often used for temporary signs) to keep water from dripping from the upper shelf plants onto lower-shelf plants. It was easy to work with and has worked well.

#171368 - 01/06/09 03:15 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: lothianjavert]
Ray Offline
Orchid Iconoclast

Loc: Buckingham PA
A few years ago I replaced my tiered benches (made with stair stringers and 2x4's) with Dura-Bench (https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BN-DB). Unlike the picture on that web page, my benches have perimeter walls to keep pots from falling off.

#171778 - 01/08/09 08:10 PM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: Ursula]
clear sky orchids Offline
OSF Member

Loc: virginia
Do you worry much over the water draining down on the next benches plants???
I have similar benching in my indoor growing area, but what I did was bought some of the clear (greenhouse grade) corregated roofing, you know the wavy stuff... cut it to size and placed it over the actuall shelf..
that way the water runs off either end and not on the plants on the next shelf down...
just a thought....

#171820 - 01/09/09 06:21 AM Re: Orchid Benches [Re: clear sky orchids]
Ursula Offline
heaven is a greenhouse

Clear Sky - no, I don't worry about water running into plants below. As a matter of fact, I water straight over the top and in-between.
I am more watchful of making sure there is always good ventilation/air circulation and placing the Orchids according to their light requirement.

Moderator:  ellen nz, Neyra 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Blc Ann Morning 'Paradise'
Blc Mem Crispin Rosales 'Pine Knot'
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Cattleya labiata
Dendrobium rantii
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Phalaenopsis tattoo
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Dahlias
Today's Birthdays
GenevaDad, Thomas
Featured Member
Who's Online
7 registered (briguy, ellen fl, John M, ORCHID ADDICT, Pook, SC Begonia Guy, vandawhite), 120 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31761 Members
33 Forums
53895 Topics
324392 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.