The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#141318 - 07/24/03 10:08 AM Black Phalaenopsis
avery Offline
OSF Member

Loc: Hong Kong SAR
I lost its name tag when I bought this wonderful phal. However, it is the best black phal I'd ever had eventhough I don't have its name with me. I think it is going to last for months since the flowers are very waxy with good texture. It has 6 flowers this year and I am really eager to see more than 10 flowers hanging when it grow bigger next year.

The first photo shows the real colour of the flowers and the colour became more reddish when a flash was used. I think I will prefer taking some more photos tomorrow under sunlight.

By the way, it seems to me that there is less responds from our friends here in OSF recently. Responds is rather infrequent compared to the registered member of more than 3 hundred. Thread is seldom to have more than 10 responds and more than 20 responds is even more rarer to be seen. I think some of us are gradually lossing their interest in posting new topic since they seldom get positive support from their buddies. Sometimes I myself am puzzled whether those I posted are not interesting enough to raise any respond from other orchids fans. Find time taking photos, select suitable time for photo-taking, photo processing and uploading images are not easy tasks. They take time. Sometimes it takes several hours working. Encouragement does mean a lot for anyone who posts here.

#141319 - 07/24/03 10:40 AM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Yoshi-SJC Offline
OSF Plutonium Member

Loc: Left Coast
I cannot help you ID it, but it looks like one of those Dritaenopsis with dark small flowers. I have Dtps. Black Butterfly 'Orchis-03' that's been blooming since January - currently blooming on a side branch. smile

#141320 - 07/24/03 11:44 AM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Wendy Offline
Just me!

Loc: Ontario
I like it! It has such a waxy texture. Does look like Black Butterfly but it's too bad that you will never know for sure. I'd keep it anyways. Thanks Avery!

#141321 - 07/24/03 12:11 PM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Colleen-AK Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Alaska, USA
Hi Avery....I agree it is probably Dtps. Black Butterfly... You are correct there is less responses recently. Here in the USA, alot of people vacation in July...this leaves alot of other people working alot to cover those vacationing!!! I did mean to mention how much I loved your Aeranthes post from a few days ago...there have been alot of photos posted recently and sometimes I only have time to take a peek and run...I mean to comment later, but don't always actually do it! My apologies to you and others who have taken the time to post photos, that I really liked but did not make a comment. You are right that it is time consuming...there have been alot of new pictures each day, and summer is busy (at least at my house)...Thank you Avery, you photos ARE appreciated!!

#141322 - 07/24/03 05:32 PM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Yoshi-SJC Offline
OSF Plutonium Member

Fragrance Crazy, my Dtps. Black Butterfly \'Orchis-03\' hardly shows white boarders. I recall that 'Orchis-02' had more pronounced white borders.

#141323 - 07/24/03 09:02 PM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
avery Offline
OSF Member

Thanks for all your compliments, guys. Of course I will keep on posting here. I don't think owning a great orchids in one's own greenhouse is as joyful as shareing with others who love it and that's why we have the forum here. Hope everyone can share their prettiests here. I don't think one can own all beauties under the name orchidacea and may not have enough $$$ to own all even if you can locate all of them. laugh So......it'd better to share them here....to save $$$ Cry

I think Colleen, Wendy and Yoshi are correct. I did remember such a name Dtps. Black Butterfly. It should be the one. There should be lots of such black beauty coming since there seems to be a breakthrough of breeding higher quality black flowers. This is the best form I'd ever seen although I still think making the plant more compact and the spikes with more branches should be a trend.

#141324 - 07/24/03 10:10 PM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Bailey Katt Offline
I cook, but I don't do dishes!

Loc: Chicago
Avery, please, please keep posting!

I second Colleen's comments. It's been especially busy at work up until this week, so I haven't had enough time to do anything more than just swoop in and check out a couple of pics before it's back to work. So please do post - your pictures are very nice and greatly appreciated, even if I don't have a moment to tell you! laugh clap

#141325 - 07/25/03 10:40 AM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Yoshi-SJC Offline
OSF Plutonium Member

Fragrance Crazy, I'm gald that you like my black phal. I purchased a NBS plant at the 2001 Santa Barbara Spring Orchid Show from Orchis Floriculturing, Inc., a Tiwanese company. Here is a link to their web site . I was so taken by the color that I paid $$$ for it even though I don't have much interest in phals! :rolleyes:

#141326 - 07/25/03 01:11 PM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
Lea Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey, I got mine from Orchis, too, at the same show! But mine was a seedling at $6.50 (that's how I bring home 100 orchids at one time btw, I buy them cheap laugh ) and its first blooms opened a couple of months ago (and still going strong!)

#141327 - 07/27/03 06:38 AM Re: Black Phalaenopsis
avery Offline
OSF Member

Thanks Bailey, Richard and Yoshi!

Frag. Crazy, I don't think your photography technique is bad anyway. Try more and everyone can be an expert on it. However, I think buying yourself a really good camera is a must in the digital world. Preferably with macro function, too. Hope to see more of your photos here.

Tetefou76 and Kitty, I live in Hong Kong SAR and I bought the plant here. Actually this beauty is not expensive and neither rare. I bought it for USD18 only with buds. The plant looks really nice, too. I think asking the people in your place is a good idea to locate some nearby sources for you.

Moderator:  ellen nz, ellen nz, Rich 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Phrag. Sunset Glow 4N
Phrag. Sorcerer's Apprentice
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Gongora fulva 'David's Dragons'
Few things in bloom
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. auratum painting in B&W
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Morning Glory "Milky Way"
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Featured Member
Who's Online
8 registered (achamore, CaseyC, ellen fl, grandpa, Hank, janet_a, joetheorchidnut, Scott Ware), 148 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31709 Members
33 Forums
53503 Topics
321659 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.