The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#133299 - 04/01/07 03:41 PM Dendrophylax lindenii
Einstein Offline
OSF Member holy cow thats allot of posts

Just in case there's anyone out there that hasn't seen the Hey Ron thread, here's the official posting of the Ghost Orchid blooming for archiving later. Looks like these will be the only pictures of the flower.
Time to hook up the malt beverage IV. Oh well, it was good for 8 pages (I don't want to talk about it)

*Edit* Link to the progress from initial spiking to bloom.

Almost open flower

Lip detalil

Whole plant shot

#133300 - 04/03/07 06:52 AM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
Einstein Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ellen nz:
einstein, in the interests of recorded history can you repost a selection of the progression piccies into the first post. you will have to do the browse image thing and cut and paste to get the piccies into the right order...that way we'll have a record of what people should be looking for when they grow their ghosts....it will then be able to be archived as a complete entity.
That sounds like way too much work, ellen. I think I'll just edit the first post in this thread and then add a link to the Hey Ron thread. Since I do the deleting of posts from Orchid Soup, I'll just make sure that one gets left on. Unless of course Dale decides to delete it one day when he's doing archiving :rolleyes:

*edit* And I do have one last picture of the flower. Complete with Grim Reaper for scale. It did end up with pretty good form.

#133301 - 04/03/07 07:36 AM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
Einstein Offline

I made the mistake of taking it to an OS meeting on Sunday. After carefully removing it from the jug and placing it in a clay pot with sphag for the pictures (so glad I got some decent ones) I put it carefully into a box with lots of peanuts for transport. Everything was going smoothly till one one the guys who was judging plants on the display table decide to get a better look. Careless SOB

#133302 - 04/03/07 04:59 PM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
Chris-MD Offline
fast and loose

Loc: MD/DC z7
jebus, thats awful! Reallymad At least you grow it well enought hat you'll bloom it again next year...silly people...

Question for judge types: Is it typical to give awards to very difficult to grow/bloom plants like this that you almost never see, as long as the flower is reasonably presentable? Or do the rare gems still go through the normal amount of scrutiny?

#133303 - 04/03/07 05:52 PM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
jim4eq Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: South Florida
Ein, I vote for accidentally knocking off *his* reproductive parts, devilgrin
-----
Terpman, for show judging, difficulty gets factored in. For AOS, no extra points because it's factored against other ghosts only.

AOS gives rarity a one time pass with an award called CBR (Certificate Biological Recognition) for a first time species award.
That's so we don't give a flower award to marginal flowers cuz no one has seen a good one. Then when good ones show up, FCC's are raining down everywhere.

#133304 - 04/03/07 06:41 PM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
Einstein Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom-AKA Orchidghost:
--don't touch the flowers or pick up the plants from the show table without permission
In all fairness, Tom, it was there to be sort of judged. So touching is not uncommon. This was just an act of carelesness that could have been avoided.
Should have just left it at home and let it make it's debu at the MidAmerica in Chicago later this month. It would have been fully appreciated there.

#133305 - 04/03/07 07:03 PM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
Irma Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Puerto Rico
When we judge the 'LaPlant' clone last year we took turns holding it to look at it closely. It was mounted, so it was easy to hold. We held it almost as if it were something sacred. The spike was about 10 inches long and the flower was so large that it was unbelievable. It also had another bud in the spike and a second spike with a smaller flower an more buds.

Put it back on the jug, Ein. It could grow another bud.....!
frown smile

Here is the photo with the clonal name ( which I didn't know at that time ). Looked it up in the Archives but it was not there.

Dendrophylax lindenii 'LaPlant' AM/AOS

Contigo en la distancia........

#133306 - 04/04/07 04:20 AM Re: Dendrophylax lindenii
ellen nz Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: N Z
that's appalling, einstein. frown i'm so sorry.

Quote:
irma said:
Looked it up in the Archives but it was not there
it is there irma, look under its old name in archive 1. there are quite a number.

what Tom-AKA Orchidghost said, except we have a 'no touching the flowers' rule for award judging as well.
to gauge substance we use a smooth fine pointer to hold behind the flower to check for thinness (against the light) and move a petal or sepal slightly. fingers are naturally greasy, no matter how clean.
more damage is done by inept measurerers and the pointers on the verneer calipers, they're particularly lethal in shakey hands.

Moderator:  ellen nz, ellen nz, Rich 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
A couple of NOID Phals
Ascda. Thongtong Classic
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Laelia perrinii coerulea
C. walkeriana var. coerulea 'Manhattan Blue'
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
Paphiopedilum, Dramatic Shadow
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Dahlias
Today's Birthdays
Dana
Featured Member
Who's Online
12 registered (Alec McF, AnnFlorida, Beetle, caryliss, CaseyC, Desdinova, jojo in minnesota, pepe9524, polka2, Scott Ware, Ursula, Wendy), 128 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31750 Members
33 Forums
53790 Topics
323671 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.