The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#118842 - 05/29/03 03:09 PM Leptotes bicolor
Chuck Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

I bought this as a small plant mounted on tree fern fiber in 1999. I think it must actually be two plants. When it blooms, the side on the right of the photo has fewer larger bloom than the side on the left of the photo. The left side blooms start to open sooner the the right side also.

#118843 - 05/29/03 05:58 PM Re: Leptotes bicolor
Beth-Ontario Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Ontario
I have a tiny, tiny little piece of this that is planted in spag. moss. Do you think I should leave it in the moss or mount it?

#118844 - 05/29/03 06:32 PM Re: Leptotes bicolor
Chuck Offline
OSF Gold Member

To Anne and Beth,

This plant is mounted on tree fern fiber but it is out growing it. I have placed the tree fern on a mat on coconut fiber and then placed that on a cedar raft that I make. The roots have started to grow into the coconut. I hope to divide it next year. Several people have asked for a piece. It is grown in a intermediate greenhouse facing away from bright light . I water it every day usually with rainwater and fertilize it every six days with 1/4 strength fertilizer. Doesn't seem to need any special care. I think that growing it undisturbed on the same mount for 5 or more years is the key.

#118845 - 05/29/03 08:14 PM Re: Leptotes bicolor
Jeff OH Offline
OSF Gold Member

Loc: N.E. OHIO
Boy...that is really nice Chuck! I was wondering...when does the new growth start on yours? I remember mine didn't put out new growth until late last summer, and so far, it's showing no sign of starting yet. Thanks

#118846 - 05/29/03 09:10 PM Re: Leptotes bicolor
Chuck Offline
OSF Gold Member

This plant doesn't seem to be too interested in new growths while it is in flower. It is now just starting a growth or two. Should make twenty five or more new ones over the summer if it continues the way it did last year. But the growths on the left seem to bloom together and the ones on the right do as well (not at the same time) so it seems that , for this one anyway, that it doesn't seem to matter when the growths start they mature more or less at the same time in the spring. I have a seedling that I bought last fall that has done nothing until this month. It is now growing roots and two new growths. My mature plant seems to bloom here (in Alberta, Canada) now every year at this time and then it grows rapidly for two or three months...then...well things slow down until next spring. But things may be different in "orchid heaven' where seasonal swings are not as severe as they are here. I donít know.

#118847 - 05/29/03 09:22 PM Re: Leptotes bicolor
Chuck Offline
OSF Gold Member

Also Jeff, I am lucky to have very bright light in the winter even if the duration is not to long. Might stimulate some early growth.

Moderator:  ellen nz, ellen nz, Rich 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Dendrobium Sonia 'Earsakul'
Bc Sarah Black 'Grand Finale'
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Cattleya pumila f. coerulea
Aganisia fimbriata
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. auratum painting in B&W
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Adenium obesum - (desert rose)
Today's Birthdays
Featured Member
Who's Online
5 registered (briguy, Camille, Hank, naoki, redbee), 119 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31728 Members
33 Forums
53620 Topics
322630 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.