The Orchid Source - Orchid Forum

Topic Options
#104795 - 09/27/04 11:34 AM DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Joe Burns Offline
Recovering Species Snob

Loc: Chicago
OK - this is the orchidarium that I keep out in the Living Room and tried to customize to look a little more natural/presentable so people don't realize what an orchid freak I am when they first come in.

It's a nice wrought iron and glass thing I found at Sams Club for $40 (believe it or not!).

I didn't want to mess with foggers and reservoirs with this one, so I have a 1" layer of LECA in the bottom that I pour water into for evaporative humidity.

Finally I installed a small CPU Fan in the top to keep the air moving.

I 'tricked it out' with some tree fern and some sand blasted grape vine to mask some of the pots and have a handfull of small ferns in there (despite the admonitions of my elders) to increase the 'natural look. The orchids in tehre are mainly warm growers - species phals, bulbos etc. So I'm not AS concerend with temps and super high humidity in there. Plus since it's in my Living Room, I didn't want it all junked up with wires and stuff.

#104796 - 09/27/04 03:20 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Joe Burns Offline
Recovering Species Snob

No - the top is covered, but the big steeple thingamabob lifts off.

Conditions in this one go from about:
HIGH 78degrees - 90%RH
LOW 61 degrees - 55%RH

The two biggish plants in there are Pescatorea Cerina & Chondoryncha amazonica

#104797 - 09/27/04 04:13 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Dale Offline
Mr. Sensitive

Loc: Bandon, OR
Conditions in this one go from about:
HIGH 78degrees - 90%RH
LOW 61 degrees - 55%RH

So, if you don't have a fogger in there, how come you have higher RH @78 than you do @61?

The harder I work, the luckier I get. - Samuel Goldwyn

#104798 - 09/27/04 05:07 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Joe Burns Offline
Recovering Species Snob

Good question Dale! I just pulled those off my humidistat when I got home tonite. Either it's
on the fritz - or maybe when I watered the mounts this AM a little spray got on the meter and it registered that as its daily high... confused

#104799 - 09/27/04 05:36 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Shady Character Offline
Dormant

Loc: Wisconsinshire
Wow, Joe! That thing is sizable! It kind of makes me think!

(Including thinking I should have bought a few of those great grape vines when I was Oak Hill!)

You may be right about screwing up the humidistat by getting it wet. I have two identical ones that weren't cheap. The one in the Orquarium™ has probably gotten wet at some point and now the two of them register a 10% difference in RH when they're sitting right next to each other. I should see if I can get them recalibrated.

Anyway, nice work! cool

#104800 - 09/27/04 05:51 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Dale Offline
Mr. Sensitive

Loc: Bandon, OR
Joe, as you may already suspect, hand-held digital hygrometers are nearly worthless. We've been having trouble incubating cockatoo eggs for... well, always. Recently we got an ASTM lab calibrated thermometer to make sure the incubation temperature was correct. It was. That only left inaccurate humidity as the main suspect. So, we ordered a wet/dry bulb hygrometer from some outfit in Canada for c. $98CDN. When we got it, we checked both thermometers against the ASTM thermometer to make sure they were accurate. They were. Then we checked the wet/dry against the toy hygrometers we'd been using. Although we expected some difference, we didn't expect a difference of 10% RH; certainly that kind of difference will kill a cockatoo egg.

The good thing about a wet/dry (if the thermometers are accurate), is that you know for sure what the RH is. No uncertainty and no guessing. The instrument we purchased came with wet/dry tables, but they're all over the 'net, too. If you're serious about RH measurement, get a wet/dry.

FWIW, I measured the RH in the GH @1430 after the exhaust fan had been running off and on for a few hours and came up with:

Main floor: @ 74 - 61%
Mezzanine : @ 82 - 51%

I'd watered lightly that morning and the floor was dry.

Main floor @ 1015, watered heavily 5 hours previously: @ 72 - 91%

I can live with that.

The harder I work, the luckier I get. - Samuel Goldwyn

#104801 - 09/27/04 09:41 PM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Joe Burns Offline
Recovering Species Snob

Yeah - would definitely be nice to go a little more high tech... but i'm making do

I've been dwelling on the temp/RH ratio tonite, and I'm wondering... is it a strict inverse relationship always? In this particular case - all my humidity is coming from evaporation at the LECA. And it's not a air tight container. So I would suspect more evaporation would occur at higher temps. I understand that cool air HOLDS moisture longer, but is there a temp where the evaporation slows significantly enough so that the RH would maintain lower at a lower temp?

#104802 - 09/28/04 04:03 AM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Colleen-AK Offline
OSF Platinum Member

Loc: Alaska, USA
No

#104803 - 09/28/04 10:31 AM Re: DIY Orchidarium (part two)
Nevermore Offline
OSF Member

Loc: Ohio
Here is my setup with the same terrarium (the larger one), with the extended chamber area. It works great.

Moderator:  ellen nz, ellen nz, Rich 
Shout Box

Orchid Hybrid Photo Gallery
Bc Sarah Black 'Grand Finale'
Ascda. Blue Tahourdin 'Bronze Grape'
Orchid Species Photo Gallery
Pap. tricuspidata
Trichoglottis brachiata
Orchid Art and Orchid Related Images
B. auratum painting in B&W
Carnivorous & Other Plants Photo Gallery
Adenium obesum - (desert rose)
Today's Birthdays
Rick B, sblockfl
Featured Member
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Site Admin, Administrator, Mod
Forum Stats
31723 Members
33 Forums
53608 Topics
322521 Posts

Max Online: 353 @ 11/26/13 08:09 AM

Our forum is supported by members contributing to the OSF monthly maintenance fund.

Make checks payable to:

Xfactor Multimedia Inc

1037 NE 65th St Suite 332
Seattle, WA 98115

Click here to contribute to the OSF monthly maintenance fund though our secure online services store

The Orchid Source Maintenance Fund
Your OSF Member Name

(c) 1998 > 2013 Xfactor Multimedia Inc. all rights reserved.
Information, text, images, threads or posts may not be recreated or used without prior approval -

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.